Monday, March 20, 2006

Introducing Wolfmother.
The Best Australian Band since. . .AC/DC.


I'd better be careful with what I say. I'm sure there've been other really good bands since AC/DC. I probably don't listen to them though, and that means they must suck, so then Wolfmother really is the best band since AC/DC.

Enjoy my logic?

The stupid photo loader on blogger isn't working right now, so I'll get some images as soon as I can.

This Australian power-rock trio comes at the height of a retro-rock era where bands that sound (but especially look like) the bands of yester-year are finding great success.
Suddenly all of the hipster garments and fashions from thirty years ago are popping up all over in various underground clubs and music bars where many of these bands are carving their niche and recruiting fans to their cause.

I bring this band to light here because I have only recently discovered their music, and in about three weeks they will be playing here in Cleveland, and I hope to be in attendence for the show.

Wolfmother is made up of Andrew Stockdale, Chris Ross and Myles Heskett, who play guitar, bass/keyboards and drums, respectively. Their combined songwriting style combines the flavors of MC5, Led Zeppelin, the Who, Black Sabbath, the Doors, and virtually every other awesome hard rock/psychedelic group that existed in thirty to forty years ago.

Their style is nothing original or terribly unique, but it is a fresh take on what has grown to be one of my favorite genres and periods of rock ‘n roll music making. I view them as a Who or Black Sabbath for my own generation.

Their comparison to fellow Aussie rockers Jet is inevitable, but hardly fair. They are both signed to the same label, and both represent a certain “dirty rocker” image, but their songwriting could hardly be less similar. Jet has a few good hooky tunes, but it is difficult to listen to their entire album. Wolfmother’s tunes, on the other hand, all have a unique and different appeal to them which keep their songwriting fresh and listenable.

Check out some of their tunes at the band’s website (www.wolfmother.com) and wait for the release of their full-length album here in America.

T.

No comments: