Wednesday, May 10, 2006


The First Taste of Summer...
I felt it today as I was moving through my house.

You usually have to be moving in order to sense these sorts of things. If you sit still, the air itself can't breathe.

I felt it as I was going up and down my stairs. It was there.

That humidity. That sticky resistance between the skin of my foot and the wooden stair.

And I could feel it when I stood still.

The heavy stillness of air laden with summertime rain, waiting for the right moment to soak the earth.

I could smell it as I moved through my house. Flowers smell differently in the summer.

I enjoy it now because one day I will realize it is summer. It will be too warm and still, and I will go around with the perennial moist spots beneath my arms and between my shoulders.

I can enjoy this stillness now. I can enjoy it and I can see ahead.

T.

No comments: