Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Sonic Youth
"Dirty" (CD)

Sonic Youth's 7th full-length album (though only their 3rd on major label Geffen) was released in 1992.  Recorded by Butch Vig, it features a grungier sound than previous Youth records due to the overwhelming popularity of Grunge at the time.  (Hiring the producer and mixer of Nirvana's "Nevermind" couldn't have helped either.)

I don't profess to be the biggest authority on Sonic Youth, but I will say I am a huge supporter of the process they represent.  Alongside the radio-friendly top 40 world was East Coast's underground music scene, a darker, noisier music world that also brought us bands like the Pixies.   It pleases me that alongside the bubble-wrapped easily digested music there was (and is) this exploring continually happening.  I think you've always had to dig deeper to find it, but it lurks, just beneath the surface.

No comments: