Thursday, November 05, 2015

Tune-Yards
"Bird-Brains" (CD)

Merrill Garbus' performance pseudonym is most accurately spelled tUnE-yArDs, but we'll simplify it for the sake of personal sanity and so I don't feel like I'm dyslexic every time I try and read something written lIkE tHiS.

I first encountered Tune-Yards because of the infectious and weird 'Gangsta' off of her sophomore album.  Being very familiar with Whokill, it was fun to reverse engineer Garbus' efforts looking back to her first album which I feel is decidedly primitive in many technological efforts.  Don't misunderstand: primitive, but no less creative and inspired.

I've become a big fan of Tune-Yards' work if for no other reason than she seems completely unafraid of being her own version of whatever she is. The freak flag pole is indeed tall with this one. Delightful.

No comments: