Wednesday, February 22, 2012


Burt Bacharach
"Greatest Hits"
(Vinyl)

I have about three "greatest hits" albums by Mr. Bacharach. I don't suppose they all need to stay, but every time I start listening to one of these records I'm reminded of why I love his music.

For starters, there's the production: this record was released on A&M, and you can hear the smokey smooth Herb Alpert influence, the hollywood strings and soft jazzy sentiment.

The arrangements are just so pleasing to listen to. The strings are full of tiny harmonies that attract the ear and point to new harmonic ideas, the jazz combo gives a (then) contemporary drive.

...and then there's the songs, many of which I knew before I knew Mr. Bacharach. The songs are timeless, even if they are cheesy, and will be listened to, covered, sampled and remembered along with the greatest of the 20th century.

No comments: