Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Big Brother & the Holding Co.
"Cheap Thrills" (Vinyl)

Robert Crumb's distinctive style makes this one of the most eye-popping covers I own.  I would say Cream's 'Disraeli Gears' is a close second.
I found a sealed re-release of the monophonic pressing which the jacket gushed as being "extremely rare." More impressively, the price was quite reasonable.

This album, released in 1968, was the band's second to feature Janis Joplin as lead vocalist.
I also have Joplin's "Pearl" on my shelves and while that is often cited as her most famous work, (it was released posthumously) Joplin's vocals on this album are some of the most remarkable I've heard from 60's rock n' roll.  She is in full banshee wail, her distinctive raspy harmonics giving the sense of a full-out scream even when she's whispering.

No comments: