Saturday, December 29, 2012

Slatkin, St. Louis Symphony
"Rachmaninoff: Symphony no. 3" (CD)

While doing some homework listening, it occurred to me that Rachmaninoff's piano concertos are fare more famous as symphonic works than his symphonies are.  I think I've played his second symphony before, but after listening to his 3rd today, I don't think I've ever heard this work before.

I don't hold Rachmaninoff's orchestration in high regard; far too often the orchestra fights itself with unrealistic or uncomfortable writing.  Still, often these struggles are worth having for the incomparable melodies that Rachmaninoff was capable of.

Leonard Slatkin and the St. Louis Symphony are both known names in the game, so it puzzles me as to why this recording set was released on Vox, traditionally a home for back-catalog items that get bundled together for budget release.

No comments: