Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Reiner, Chicago Symphony
"Bartok: Music for Strings, Percussion & Celeste" (vinyl)

This is an RCA gold seal rel-release of a recording originally put out in 1960.  If I find the original pressing I'll happily swap it out for this one.  I understand a label's strategy in re-packaging their back catalog and trying to squeeze a few additional farthings out of music you already own, but the quality of records was on a steady decline after the 1960's, particularly with classical labels.  For whatever reason, the cheapest options for jacket materials and vinyl were used.

I have nothing against this RCA gold seal - it's a very sturdy record in great shape; I'd just rather have the original.  I'm sure the album cover is much more compelling.

About this music: it's awesome.  Duh.
Performance: Killer.

No comments: