Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Dave Brubeck Quartet
"My Favorite Things" (Vinyl)

Friends know of my personal affectation for Mr. Brubeck.  No, it has nothing to do with a deeper technical understanding or philosophical agreement with his approach to jazz.  He's simply one of the few jazz greats I've had the honor of playing with live in concert.

Ever since then, I've enjoyed his recordings in a more personal way. (Starting with "Take Five" and working outwards...) This album was in a long line of albums released in the 60's by the classic Quartet line-up which included Paul Desmond on alto sax (my fav.)

This is Brubeck & Co's take on the Richard Rodgers songbook.  Some of the most famous tunes are here ("My Favorite Things") but also some lesser known works (to me) including "Circus on Parade" which was a Doris Day tune from something called "Jumbo."

No comments: