Monday, September 10, 2012

The Eagles
"The Complete Greatest Hits" (CD)

One of the world's biggest selling acts, the Eagles have the US's all-time best selling record ("Greatest Hits 1971-1975") and one of the all-time most respected records ("Hotel California.")

So how does band exist between a place of nearly legendary fame, where every karaoke bar in the world hears a cheer the minute "Hotel California" begins to play and obscurity for almost the rest of their output?

I'm not a big fan of the slow-rolling alt-country rock.  Whether it be Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt or the home-fried flavor of the Eagles, I can find a better place to hang out.
So what makes these guys so important? I know some of the songs, but I can't say I enjoy any of them particularly.

Maybe this goes in my column of "music that is popular but I won't understand why."

No comments: