Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Dr. John
"Locked Down" (Vinyl)

Dr. John is not new to the game.  He started recording session work in the 50's, and in the 70's became known for his own zydeco blend of jazz, funk, blues, rock, boogie and a partridge in a pear tree.

This marks the Doc's debut on Nonesuch and his first teaming up with the Black Keys' guitarist Dan Auerbach as producer and co-writer for some of the tunes.  From time to time you can hear Dan's distinctive guitar stylings poking its head through the texture.

This is my first real exposure to Dr. John.  I've already listened to this album a handful of times on the mp3 player, but I just acquired the album to hold in my hands, so now it can go up here.
I intend on looking for more music from Dr. John.  This stuff is crazy voodoo madness.  But considering Jim Henson based the Muppet Dr. Teeth on Dr. John, that makes sense.

No comments: