Thursday, March 21, 2013

KISS
"Destroyer" (Vinyl)

Well, here's an album I never thought I'd find in my stacks.  Not because I'm uptight, but I've just never been a fan of the glam spectacle arena rock that KISS built.  It dramatically places style over substance for my taste.

Still, you can't deny KISS' success and the rabid devotion of the KISS army.  'Destroyer', released in 1976, was the band's fourth album and heralded their arrival as kings of arena glam rock.  The album artwork (by artist Ken Kelley) helped to create colorful, larger-than-life imagery that the band would exploit and ride to the bank for the next decade.

As far as the music goes, I've never regarded KISS as an innovative band; heavy rock, metal, glam, etc. has all been done better by other groups than KISS.  If you weren't able to see the band I wonder how many would recognize many of the tunes on this album.

No comments: