Friday, March 01, 2013

The Cleveland Quartet
"Brahms: the Complete String Quartets" (Vinyl)

Another visit to my favorite quartet.  I daydream about showing up at Mr. Salaff's door with this record for him to sign his autograph across his afro.

This is an homage of sorts to the performance I have to give tonight.  Tonight will be the concert where I would have performed Brahms' first string quartet if life hadn't altered our plans.

To commemorate the occasion, I'm listening to this quartet's interpretation of Brahms' quartets.  Considering I've listened mostly to the Tokyo Quartet's recording over the last several months, this recording is notable in a couple of ways: they are unafraid of stretching some tempos luxuriously to bask in a moment.  They also plunge head-first into some of Brahms' more frantic, rhythmic writing in a way that sounds like controlled chaos.  Exhilarating is as appropriate a word as alarming.  What fun!

No comments: