Friday, January 18, 2013

David Bowie
"Ziggy Stardust & the Spiders from Mars" (Vinyl)

Has there been a musician who has better capitalized on the public's appetite for spectacle than Mr. Bowie? Practically inventing the genre of glam rock, David Bowie went through numerous "personas" that impacted everything from his mannerisms, dress and stage productions.

"Ziggy Stardust" was the first such personality to arrive.  Loosely based on rock n' roll flameout Vince Taylor, "Ziggy" is a loose concept album telling the story of the archetypal rock superstar, Ziggy Stardust.

The songs have gone on to be some of Bowie's greatest classics, including "5 Hours," "Suffragette City" and "Rock n' Roll Suicide."
I have had this album on my mp3 player for years and I never really listen to it.  Then, I put my vinyl copy on and I find this album a joy to listen to.  Something in my mp3 copy has made the sound very brittle and fatiguing.  On vinyl, the sound is actually quite smooth and the production is colorful and lush.  Kudos to Mick Ronson, guitarist on this album that recorded some of my favorite, understated guitar licks.

No comments: