Friday, January 11, 2013

Grizzly Bear
"Shields" (Vinyl)

This is the last acquisition I needed to complete my own best-of 2012 collection.  Hurrah!

Grizzly Bear's "Veckatamist" made an impression because of their single "Two Weeks" but little else on the album really stood up.

Grizzly Bear has apparently been learning from their own processes, fine-tuning their recipes and refusing to leave the kitchen until they came out with something truly delectable.

The vinyl pressing isn't mastered quite as carefully as I would've hoped (there seems to be some plasticky "space" surrounding the musicians; things don't really leap into the room as with some contemporary records) but it is good to see "normal" has bands releasing their albums on vinyl.  I don't know how long this will last, but I'm happy to ride the train.

No comments: