Saturday, January 19, 2013

Wallfisch, Thomas, London Philharmonic Orchestra
"Kabalevsky & Khachaturian: Cello Concertos"(Vinyl)

I don't know where I found this recording. However, considering where I've dug for records (a fourth-floor storage space in San Antonio, for one) I think the better question is: who ever bought this record in the first place?

Don't get me wrong - it's actually a very fine recording with some very masterful cello-ing going on, but my question lies in who decided to record Kabalevsky and Khachaturian cello concertos and release them.

Chandos, that's who.  A respected classical label that has found its niche in the recording and distribution of sort of underground unknown composers that don't see the light of day very often.  It's because of such championing by musicians such as the Kronos Quartet that we know of Gorecki today.  While neither Kabalevsky or Khachaturian are unknowns, both of these compositions I've never heard before spinning this record.

No comments: