Monday, February 04, 2013

Ray LaMontagne
"God Willin' & the Creek Don't Rise" (Vinyl)

Ray LaMontagne's fourth LP was released in 2010. It was recorded in his home and is the first time that LaMontagne is credited with sole production duties and also the first time he recorded "with" anyone. (In this case, the Pariah Dogs.)

An AR rep for a record label once handed me LaMontagne's "Gossip in the Grain" after we discussed our mutual taste in music (and I complimented him on his Klipsch Cornwalls) and since that time I've been hooked on LaMontagne's cornsilk vocals and laid-back sentiment.  I still think "Gossip" is his best work, but I've dutifully sampled his other works until now, where I unwittingly now own all four of his albums.

"God Willin'" is a little too kicked back for me. The tempos are all very relaxed, the lights a little too dim and there's far too much pedal steel.  And by that I mean there is pedal steel, so therefore there is too much pedal steel.    Ray's voice is as calming and soothing as ever, but I've yet to hear him rise to the same heights as 2008's "Gossip."  I truly hope he does.

No comments: