Friday, February 15, 2013

The Bad Plus
"For All I Care" (CD)

The music on this album was how I came to know of Minneapolis-based jazz fusion trio, the Bad Plus.  They were on a televised broadcast of the Rochester Jazz Festival along with vocalist Wendy Lewis.  They were rockin' it pretty hard.  Even for a jazz trio.

In many respects, I still feel this is the Plus' best to date.  Surely, their audience is a jazz-focused one, but the addition of a vocalist makes the impact of these well-known tunes all the more striking.
Honestly, the cover of Pink Floyd's 'Comfortably Numb' might be even better than the original.

Additionally, the treatment given to Ligeti and Stravinsky is equally playful and virtuosic. Easily my favorite album from these boys.  Best of all, I believe these guys have the potential to exceed my expectations again and again.

No comments: