Monday, February 04, 2013

Switchfoot
"New Way to be Human" (CD)

Many of my similarly-aged friends reference particular music as the soundtrack of their teenage years.  One that comes up a lot is Sublime's self-titled album.  Inversely,  I don't think I've ever heard that entire album.

No, for me this is the soundtrack to my late high school years! Switchfoot: Christian-turned-mainstream surfer rock-pop trio from SoCal.  This was before they made their attempt at the Top 40 market.  At this time, it was simply two brothers and their amigo banging out tuneful pop songs that they (obviously) loved to play.

It was released in 1999, produced by Charlie Peacock, and, true to Switchfoot's m.o., all songs were written by Jon Foreman.  Probably within the span of an afternoon.

Sadly, there's nothing earth shattering about this album.  There isn't a weak, uninspired tune on here, but everything digests harmlessly and is remembered as fondly as an afternoon at the beach.   For me, this is senior year of high school.

No comments: