Saturday, February 02, 2013

Vladimir Ashkenazy
"Beethoven: Piano Sonatas 17 - 20" (CD)

Beethoven wrote 32 piano sonatas over the course of 27 years.  As a whole, the represent one of the most important bodies of musical work ever completed.  Hans Bülow has called Beethoven's piano sonatas the "new testament" of music.  I wonder if that's akin to John Lennon saying the Beatles were bigger than Jesus?

I possess this complete recorded cycle of the sonatas by Vladimir Ashkenazy, long regarded as one of the most important musical figures of his generation.  I saw Ashkenazy conduct the Cleveland Orchestra on several occasions and had a classmate who religiously worshiped Ashkenazy's work.  I consider it a great privilege to have seen this man work.  Seeing this box set at Academy Records in New York City was a coup.  I snatched it up; could there be a better set to own?

No comments: