Monday, February 04, 2013

The Flaming Lips
"Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" (CD)

This is the Lips' tenth album released in 2002, three years after their break-through "Soft Bulletin."  If it isn't their number one best-selling album, it's in the top three.

The Flaming Lips have found themselves occupying the same room in my musical mansion as Bjork.  All of these musicians are respected, talented and creative, but for some reason their music has stopped being as relevant to me as it was 5-6 years ago.  Was it ever relevant? That's a question I just consider too harsh to consider...

I'm a big fan of Steve Drozd and I still consider him the musical motor behind the Lips.  Wayne Coyne will forever get the headlines for his zany...everything, but Drozd is the guy.  The real guy.

This album is trippy, weird and a lot of fun.  It's also full of musical genius, so when I'm in the right mood, there's nothing else like it.

No comments: